12.30.2011

Why a Happily-Employed Music Teacher Left Her Place of Happy Employment

It was April of 2003. Eight college choices were widdled down to two. A decision had to be made that afternoon. The front runner included taking general education classes, tuition-free, for a semester and then becoming a Nittany Lion. The other candidate was a school discovered only through a college version of e-Harmony. In the span of five minutes, and for no explanation other than teenage, female flightiness, I completely changed my mind and bounded downstairs to announce, "I changed my mind. I'm going to Millersville."

It was August of 2007. I was an unemployed college graduate armed only with a diploma and a conviction that God was planning to provide a job in close vicinity to my church, despite that the available jobs that I qualified for numbered 2. Two weeks before school was slated to start, I received a call for an interview from a school that I never applied to.

It was June of 2011. My final class was lined up, ready to leave my classroom for the start of summer when I told them I had an announcement to make. "I wanted you all to know that I had a wonderful year with you, and I am proud of each of you for how you've grown as fifth graders. You have made my job a real joy. I do want you to know, though, that I will not be here next year." After the jaws dropped and the "What?!"s had subsided, I explained my plans and received twenty-six truly precious tear-filled hugs. After having made the speech to twenty-four groups of kids, I was relieved to finally be done with it.

I was truly blessed to have taught in such a fantastic school district during those four years. My administrators were supportive, my co-workers were helpful, my music department was incredible and close-knit, and the students were the most amazing kids you'd ever meet. It was not without it's hardships or stress, but the fact remained that it was a great job and I loved it.

So why on earth would a seemingly rational person sacrifice this gem of a job, particularly in an unstable economic market? In short, it is because God has proven that He has a plan to use the musical giftings He has provided me with. At length, well, it is precisely the reason for this blog. Let's witness God's faithfulness together, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment